If you are looking for a great place to take in beautiful scenery and enjoy the outdoors, you would be hard pressed to find a nicer spot that Buena Vista, Colorado. The name means “beautiful view” and the town lives up to that. If you are looking for fun things to do and see, the Buena Vista attractions cannot be beat. Founded in 1878, it is known for access to the San Isabel National Forest, more than ten peaks that are taller than 14,000 feet, more than 100 miles of snowmobile trails and whitewater rafting options and St. Elmo, one of the state’s best preserved ghost towns. Buena Vista has just about everything you could wish for in a Colorado vacation.
When you are traveling to the area, it is important to remember that the altitude may be more than you are used to. Some people set off for their Colorado vacation without taking that into consideration. It may not be in the Himalayas but if you are used to being at sea level, you need to make some adjustments to get the most of your trip.
- Stay hydrated. The water in Colorado is delicious and fresh so take advantage of that and consume more than you think you need. Some experts say that the thirst instinct is so weak in many people that they often confuse it for hunger. Add to that the fact that by the time you feel you are thirsty, you are already well on your way to being dehydrated and really should just drink a ton of water before you think you need it. Not only is the air in Colorado more dry than many places but being at a higher altitude will dry you out more. You do your body a huge favor by keeping it hydrated, which helps you get acclimated to the altitude. Some people develop headaches and one great way to deal with them is just to consume more water.
- Watch how much alcohol you drink. This is a Colorado vacation you are on so you may want to have a beer or glass of wine, there is no reason you cannot have some alcohol in moderation but there are very good reasons to watch how much you consume while you are at altitude. In the first place, it is a diuretic. This means, you will lose more water when you drink alcohol. Secondly, when you drink booze, you will take in less oxygen when you sleep and that can contribute to altitude sickness. Even if your reaction to the altitude is mild, alcohol can make it worse. Lastly, many people feel the effects of alcohol more at higher altitudes. If you have some wine or beer, take your time so you can see how you are impacted.
- Be careful about your caffeine. Many people really do not like dealing with people before they have had their morning cup of joe. Caffeine is another diuretic so just watch how much you have. You can always compensate for drinking more water taking it easy and slow with the coffee and other beverages will make your Colorado vacation better.
- Rest your first day. There are many wonderful places to stay in Buena Vista Co. For your first day, at least, take it slow and easy at your hotel. Talk to your hotel about taking in the hot springs or doing something equally lazy when you first arrive. You have your entire Colorado vacation to be active. Give your body a chance to get used to the altitude your first few days.
- Wear sunscreen. When you are out on your sightseeing adventure, protect your skin. The sun is stronger at higher elevations than at sea level and even if you do not burn normally, it is a good idea to protect yourself. This is especially true if you hit the ski slopes or snowmobile trails. The sun will reflect off of the snow to really get you.
A Colorado vacation really has something for everyone. Plan ahead and you and your family should find something that makes everyone in your group happy.