Flying is a very popular way to get around the planet. Every single day, approximately eight million people take to the skies. A little over 3.1 billion people flew in 2013, this was the first year that the number of flyers surpassed three billion. With all of that flying around the planet, it is a good thing most airlines offer pretty good in flight entertainment systems. Here are some ways travelers recommend getting the most from a long distance flight.
- Ask about an upgrade. Whether or not you have a lot of frequent flier miles, though those can make the process easier, you should always ask about the possibility of an upgrade. Here is a secret they do not want to tell you, often it is easier for an airline to sell the coach seats so they may let you upgrade for miles or a fee. If you are flying a long distance, the extra leg room may make a big difference, especially if you are tall. You will have a similar in flight entertainment system as the rest of the plane but you will have some extra amenities that can make a big difference. It is always worth asking. They cannot say yes if you do not ask.
- Take this time to turn your mind off. For the moment, you cannot have your cell phone on while you are in the air. You may or may not have access to the internet depending on the in flight entertainment system and airline. This may be the perfect time to get some meditation in. All inflight entertainment systems have movies. Take advantage of that. Listen to some music provided or that you have brought with you. You may even have in seat power or in seat USB power to keep your devices powered up for your long flight. If you have your tablet, you can play with that. There may be time to relax and work but taking some of your flight to unwind and relax may be just the thing you need.
- Check most of your stuff. It is tempting to take it all on the plane with you, given the new fees to check luggage but this may be a big mistake for longer flights that last more than 15 hours. You will want the space under the seat in front of you to stretch out your legs, not your stuff. If you are flying that far, you will be better off paying the fees and checking your bags.
- Keep the gear you need with you. There is a balance between bringing too much and bringing too little. You want to check all of the items that you do not need but should take care to bring everything that you will need with you. If you have noise canceling headphones, they are a great addition to any flight. You may want your travel pillow, an eye mask and a journal to write in. These can all make a difficult flight a lot easier.
- You may want to take something to sleep. If your flight is going to be over ten hours, you may want to think about taking something to help you sleep. This can be particularly helpful if you are flying overnight and need to arrive at your destination well rested and ready for a day of work and meetings. You can opt for natural remedies such as melatonin or you can ask your doctor to prescribe something. Be careful and do not take too much. You may want to try to take the medication at home so you know how it affects you before you take in on the plane. You may miss out of the in flight entertainment system but arriving at your destination well rested will make up for that.
- Drink lots of water. People do not realize how dry the air in the airplane is, you will want to stay hydrated for your flight. Watch how much alcohol you drink, it can be very dehydrating.
There are a lot of ways to make a long flight go by quicker. These are just a few things you can do.